Wednesday, September 4, 2013

You’re My Boy, Blue


Sad news was received on Tuesday as it was revealed the Blue II, former mascot of the Butler Bulldogs passed away over the weekend.


He was just nine… 63 in dog years… He served as Butler’s mascot from 2004-13… He died of congestive heart failure.


Just last week I was cruising the internet doing research on an upcoming blog entry - The dogs of college football… And that’s when I first read about Blue II’s retirement… In the busyness of a hectic May, I never noticed that Blue II, the mascot for the Butler Bulldogs had stepped aside to be replaced by his brother, Butler Blue III… His final appearance as the mascot was walking with Butler’s 2013 graduating class.
 

Often, as an animal mascot gets passed the expected midway point of his life a successor is picked out and the mascot steps aside to make the transition smooth… Nothing could be more demoralizing than to have an animal mascot serving its term pass away… But much like the passing of a former President, even though they don’t hold the office any more, it doesn’t make the sadness less extreme and the occasion less solemn.


And so it was with Blue II… He was the bulldog roaming the baseline for Butler men’s basketball’s Final Four runs in 2010 and 2011… He was a renowned Twitterer with nearly 14,000 followers… He was known as Butler’s Mascot, America’s Dog.


I’m sad I never got to meet Blue II… I know people who did and I consider them to be lucky.

Regionally famous Bob Ballou with the most handsome person at the Final Four.


He was a dog… And everyone knows that dogs for the most part are better than people… They always love you… They think of others more than themselves... And they never lie… Except when they poop in the house and try to pretend like it wasn’t them.



Dogs laugh with their tails… Even Butler Blue who had a small one… Now I’m just rambling… But I feel like I needed to say something… I watched this video over and over last night… I smiled… I cried… I laughed… I cried… Butler II was an amazing dog... He exemplified all that is good about America... He was Butler's Mascot, America's Dog.


How do we know that all dogs go to heaven?... Because Blue II is there now… He told us in his tweet.

He'll always be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment